Monday, January 12, 2009

Arriving & First Impressions


Anyong! Welcome to my DC blog! I am hoping to keep this up for the whole time I am here so those who I love and miss dearly (as well as those I don't miss that much, but may still be interested) can see what I'm up to: what I'm seeing, doing, hearing, and eating.

I arrived on the night of the 8th and have been relatively busy ever since. During the past two days, we've had a couple of orientation sessions in which we were introduced to the program, including a four-hour monument tour taking us to the main memorials, including those of the Vietnam War, Korean War, and Lincoln, all of which I've seen before with Mom and Dad when we came a couple years ago, but had no less of an effect on me the second time around. We also went on a scavenger hunt, the purpose of which was to help us learn how to get around the city. But one of the members of my team was a student who had stayed in DC the prior semester, so she knew her way around and I blindly followed, concentrating more on keeping up (those short legs of mine...I'm a slow walker.) So, that didn't really help me in the finding-my-way department. But I'll figure it out eventually. Plus, her expertise got us second place in the competition, so...what what.

The weather is, yes, cold. Unbelievably cold. Teeth-chatteringly cold. So-cold-I-have-to-distract-myself-by-singing cold. (We actually saw particles fall from the sky and bounce off the hoods of cars. I think that's called hail.) But what was I to expect? This shouldn't have been news. Having been spoiled with warm-to-cool weather my whole life has made my temperature shock a given. I almost miss sticky Jakarta air. The worst part of it though is that within five minutes of stepping inside, you want nothing more than to peel off all the layers that keep you alive outside. So you're walkin' around a store with a jacket in one hand, and a scarf in the other, and gloves hanging out of your pocket. I probably look like a mess. However, I do think it is kind of fun getting bundled up, and also seeing my breath. I get a kick out of being able to see my breath.

If I were to behaviorally categorize DC as a city, it would be organized-hectic. It has the hustle and bustle of NYC minus the g to the h-e-t-t-o. But that's probably because we spoilt P-dine kids live in the nicest part of town. And I can only imagine how crazy it will be during inauguration. It'll just be plain ol' hectic minus the organized. We were all under the impression that we had tickets to the inauguration, but I remained skeptical refusing to get my hopes up. And rightfully so, because Mr. Khalil, our fearless leader and program director, informed us that his usual connection did not come through. She usually grants him a good number of tickets, but for this particular inauguration she declared there would be no favors to friends. Apparently, Mr. Obama is so much of a celebrity that getting a chance to be within a mile of him is a hotter ticket than Lakers vs. Celtics on the floor on Christmas day. Whatever happens, I will be happy enough with the chance to say I was in the capital on the day of this historic inauguration. I'll take it.

People are very friendly for the most part. I had a bus driver let me ride for free, since I hadn't bought a bus pass yet and I waved around my five dollar bill like the dumb tourist that I am, saying that it was the smallest bill I had and was there any way he could give me change for it (even though I know he couldn't). He said "don't worry about it." He probably just didn't have the time to deal with my shenanigans and wanted me to sit down. There have been a couple iffy characters, such as a lady working at a restaurant (which will remain nameless) who, upon being asked "would you be so kind as to cut that sandwich in half?" responds by staring blankly at me for five seconds...blinking...and nodding once, all the while wearing a look of why-are-you-wasting-my-time. But, things like that have happened only a handful of times. I am proud to say that I found my way to Georgetown on a bus pretty easily. A small mishap in the beginning after getting on the wrong bus, but with my directional ineptitude I was expecting to be lost for hours.

I am still on the internship hunt, but Khalil has assured those of us who have yet to secure one (which is a good number of people) not to worry, and that the holidays create sort of a lull in hiring. He also says that he will help us all find internships within the first two weeks. So far in the history of the program, nobody has not eventually found an internship. I am trying my best to be patient, not be too discouraged about the rejections, and enjoy the city while I still have time off - but still making sure to continue applying for things in the meantime. I am very excited and eager to start "working," even if it is for free. After all, I will be gaining knowledge/experience - the only true currency in this bankrupt world. Or is the only true currency what we share with people when we're uncool? (An "Almost Famous" reference... never mind.) I look forward to getting into a routine and growing familiar with my commute. Basically, pretending to be a grown-up, all the while feeling safe under the security blanket that is this program. Of course, if I don't get hired within two weeks, then I can kiss all of that goodbye... but we're going to think positive.

Peace be with you,
Samy

No comments:

Post a Comment